Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Breaks: An Important Phase

Hello World!

Yes, I once again believe I have pulled out of my insidious addiction to Kingdoms of Camelot on Facebook and may consider myself a writer. I do hope I am correct this time. The promising part is that I am writing again, with the help of a new reader. (Thank you Terra, dear!) I crave the creative urge again, and occasionally my muse floats in and flies with me.

I am excited that Terra and I have worked through the first third of The Game together. I re-read and revise chapters I wrote back before addiction set in. She reads about two chapters a week answering questions on plot, characters, and her expectations of what is coming. Very satisfying feedback. (As Chris in my book would exclaim, "S-weet.")

And the bizarre thing? I cannot feel sorry about the "lost" writing time. I have learned an enormous amount about online gaming, made deep friendships, developed new skills (diplomacy, for example), and grown more than I ever expected. KoC was "just a game," but the people have been worth it all. And the time away has allowed me to see with fresh eyes, catching flaws I might have missed had the writing ontinued unbroken these months.

The upshot? I fully expect to finish The Game by year's end. I have more people interested in my novel than previously. The research into gaming and its community was a fabulous success. And I confronted long held but unexamined cultural assumptions and flushed them down the sewer -- a repeated theme in The Game. 

Once again, I experienced the process and the relationships as more important than the plan. Had I actually let that slip my mind? Nah. It is a foundational truth of my life.

1 comment:

  1. The game or the friendships. Which of them take over.

    The addiction? Of course, it's not possible. Or is it?

    So excited to read this book which you are writing.

    ReplyDelete