Monday, August 16, 2010

Book Summary: The Game

Hello World!

At the second session of my "Marketing Yourself and Your Writing" class, I received feedback on the 75-- to 100--word summary of my book, The Game. This summary might appear on the back cover, though it has other uses as well. In response to class feedback, I have re-written the summary, and decided to share this version with you.

I always assumed that a publisher would choose these words. As with my bio, writing them myself makes me a trifle uncomfortable. At least you are getting a later version of my book summary than I posted of my bio.

Hopefully, since this is its purpose, this summary will make you want to read the book! Your comments are welcome, as always. Let me know if it works. Here goes.


The Game
Relocating to Eastern Washington, Jason’s foreign commune encounters traditional wariness of the atypical. Lee enjoys their theme park with its hidden clues and extreme challenges. But as Lee draws closer to playful Jason and odd “Honest Gabe,” she wonders whether the immigrants’ excessive friendliness belies some ulterior purpose. Then, Jason, stunned by family crisis, becomes a target of violence. To support Jason and Gabe, Lee immerses herself in bizarre secrets the community rarely reveals. Using romance, mystery, and speculative science, The Game examines the power of assumptions, how we attach and detach from one another and the need for Home.

1 comment:

  1. It summarizes the story pretty well but I think the last sentence needs more power behind it. "How we attach and detach from each other" doesn't sound very interesting to me, though I know the story is a compelling one. How about something like. "the power of personal connection when individuals stand together" - or - "friends hold each other up in extraordinary circumstances." I don't know...it's just an idea.

    ReplyDelete