Saturday, July 31, 2010

Marketing Myself and My Writing

Hello world,

The class I'm taking on marketing myself and my writing assigned me challenging homework. -- to write a 50 to 100 word bio that could be used on a book jacket. It appears that this bio will have numerous other uses over time, as well.

It's harder than I thought putting together a short piece about myself, written in third person. Everything sounds commonplace and boring instead of being something that would cause a potential publisher or reader to bounce in excitement. My ego is taking a beating while I work on finding the right words. Maybe I'll see if I hear from any of you before I take this to class tomorrow night.

I've put my first draft of the bio below. All suggestions are welcome!

"Sharman Badgett has a background in technical writing and social science/educational research that gives her fiction depth and believability. Through experience as a therapist, Sharman creates complex characters and explores what causes them to attach and detach. She enjoys visiting diverse cultures and discovering the assumptions that lead people toward either trust or fear. Having ridden elephant back through jungles of Thailand, white-water rafted in Costa Rica and bungee jumped in Canada, Sharman makes her home in the Pacific Northwest."

No comments:

Post a Comment