Friday, December 31, 2010

A New Year's Resolution about Gaming

Hell world!

     Where have I been? Good question. November just sped along until travel and holidays took over.  And December? Well, that is today's story.
     The Game, my novel, is about people and cultures. But the setting is a theme park with real-life gaming (instead of virtual). Many writers treat setting as a character. My wonderful reader’s group felt that the setting wasn’t as well developed as my other characters. 
     Consequently, just before Thanksgiving I started playing a virtual game as research.  I hoped to make the novel more attractive to gamers – and everyone else.I joined a game through Facebook called “Kingdoms of Camelot.” Within a week, I was totally addicted. Hooked. Mesmerized.  And the fascination has not worn off. (ç Understatement.)
     I became accustomed to building cities and alliances and attacking enemies, and was drawn into the community chat. I met wonderful people there.
     A gentle chiropractor in ND.
     A one-time-bad-boy carpenter, struggling to find work in the damaged economy of southern CA.
     A boy with stunning leadership skills.
     A cancer researcher in Sweden.  
     A lonely lover in East Java.
     Two Lebanese college students.
     An Australian contingent, including a Kiwi.
     Canadians, folks from the UK. People from all over the world. Relationships forming and growing.
All of which is wonderful. Superb, in fact. And similar in many ways to the community that forms in my book.. It all came together!
     Only, I need to regain control of my time.  Balance this wonderful new community with my need to work. So that’s what I’ll do.
     My first resolution of 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment