Sunday, May 30, 2010

Researching The Game

Hello World!

I’ve been thinking a lot about research lately. Most of my life I’ve worked in social science and educational research, which includes a lot of writing. Writing this book, I’ve discovered that writing includes a lot of research, as well. It is fortunate for me that the two fit so well together.

Of course, if I wrote non-fiction, I’d plan for lots of research – after all, think of all those facts! Yet day after day during the writing phase of my novel, I’d come up with answers I needed so my setting and characters would remain believable. Some were quick googles, while others took deeper research. Occasionally I lost an entire day to exploration. ! even took a class on one of my research topics.

The working title for my novel is The Game. My research made me feel like I was one of my characters, involved in my own game. Below are some examples.

Research topics for my novel The Game (selective list)

  • What has contributed to various peoples growing taller in some parts of the world than in others?
  • In what months do various crops mature in Eastern Washington?
  • How are body hair, pubic hair and facial hair similar and different?
  • Had the past 60 years of U.S. defense/war resources gone to our space program instead, where might it be today?
  • What happens to the mother and the embryo during the first 3 months of pregnancy?
  • What allowed the Love Israel family to continue so much longer than other communal groups?
  • What changes have occurred over the past 30 years in Walla Walla and the surrounding area?
  • Historically, which nationalities and ethnicities immigrated into Eastern Washington and when?
  • How long do cows and goats give milk after bearing young?
  • When is the yearly rodeo in the Walla Walla area?
  • What advances are anticipated over the next 10 year in genetics?

Perhaps my research has been more difficult, in some ways, than non-fiction research. The variety of topics I’ve had to consider may be wider, for instance. However they compare, I now understand why some authors hire researchers on various questions. If I didn’t love the search, I could easily bog down in the writing.

1 comment:

  1. I'll bet people are wondering what the heck this book is about, with those wildly wide-ranging research topics involved. Genetics? Hair? Agriculture? Communes? You left out the changing weather patterns over the last 100 years in South America. Not like any 'game' I'd ever heard of. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete